Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Now for the Hard Part

I'm definitely feeling the adolescent angst of being an AOA these days. The experiment part of my final project for electronic publishing is over, but now I have to figure out how to publish it online. My professor suggested a hypertext (sort of an electronic choose your own adventure), but the story is too linear for that. I could write a bunch of alternate branches, but I feel like that would be contrary to the goal of the experiment, which is to see what happens when a group of people, many who don't know each other, have an open electronic forum to write a story. My part was to be a contributor and editor, not controller. Believe me, giving up control was incredibly stressful. 
The story ran over four thousand words and is told from three points of view. So, now I'm doing what adolescents do: procrastinating, complaining (to myself), and a little pouting. I need to sum up that final energy to find a way to present the text online and write the final paper. Maybe I should text a bunch of people and then down a couple of Red Bulls. Isn't that what adolescents do these days? Arrgh! This is making me feel old and tired and immature. But, that's just being an AOA, right? All part of growing up, again. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you should have to do another part for your project, but since you do maybe you should look at it as a chance for finally being able to control some of it. Then, in your final writeup you could discuss the difference between being in control vs. not being in control of artwork and the pros and cons of both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on a website for the story. I tried a typical "choose your own adventure" type of hypertext, but it just didn't work. The story demands to be linear, so I'm making a more linear interactive site. The story now controls the design of the website, so I guess I still don't have control over it. I took Editorial Styles last semester, and the prof talked about this situation. For an editor, it's all about the story. Kind of interesting to find out how true that it.

    ReplyDelete