Friday, October 1, 2010

The Army of Women

My happy husband
Cancer knows my family. It killed my mother in law and many of her brothers and sisters. Cancer ended my husband's life eight years ago. Cancer plagues his cousins and their children. My children are also in danger. Something in my husband's family's genes makes them prone to cancer. So, I am a soldier in the Army of Women. I am one of 335,000 women who have pledged to do all I can to combat breast cancer. 
Our goal is to become a million strong. And though I have never had breast cancer, I can help. Researchers sometimes need healthy women to act as controls for their research studies. As a member of the Army of Women I receive emails alerting me to studies conducted across the country, some near my home. So far, no studies nearby have needed healthy volunteers, but if scientists need me, I am ready. And if I, or my daughter, should ever find ourselves among the sisters in breast cancer, then the research and resources will be there to help us.
Today, October 1, is the official 'Join the Army of Women'  day. I urge every woman reading this to sign up. Help defeat this one cancer, and maybe other cancers will also fall.

1 comment: