Thursday, October 14, 2010

Choosing this new path

I was a research chemist. The bulk of my college education was in science and mathematics. I chose the path of creative writing as a way to create life after Cyril. And it's working. I am consistently discovering new aspects of myself.
When I started down this road, I wanted to tell the story of Cyril and suffering and loss. That didn't work out so well. I learned that the way to write about something is to not write about it. I began to write differently.
Now I need to decide if my focus, for graduation, will be fiction (my original choice) or poetry (something new to me).  What I really like to write are experimental works, pieces that play with language and ideas and are sometimes more like poetry and sometimes more like fiction and sometimes not like anything at all.
It's the scientist in me: I like to experiment. But the classification system that is required for my MFA thesis is imprecise: How does one quantify poetry, or fiction, or poetic narrative, or prose poem or essay poem, etc.? Under what heading does experimental writing fall ? I need to decide by the end of this semester, so I can take all the required courses. 
For now, I'm just going to write the way I want to write, the way that makes me lose track of time, the way that feels right, whatever category it turns out to fit, or not fit. The ability to write freely, with abandon and absorption, is well worth the cost of grad school. I only hope I can get a diploma out of it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - you have quite the choice there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you're on this new path and learning about different aspects of yourself, and as a writer. Good luck on your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete