Saturday, October 23, 2010

Twitter for Literature

I now have a Twitter account: @catemaire, which I plan to use for my final project in my creative electronic publishing class. I'm still learning the ins and outs of Twitter. On the whole, it seems like a huge waste of time, but I want to do something different: create a literary work with contributions from both writers and non-writers. If my plan gets approved by my professor (are you reading this Jenny?), I will begin the project by Tweeting a line (or lines) and followers will contribute anything from a word to several Tweets in a row to create a text. It's very experimental. I do not plan to create a poem or a narrative. I want to see what develops. I will contribute regularly, but if others create settings, characters, plot, rhymes, enigmas, irony, sarcasm, humor, whatever, then we will all go from there. Every Tweet should be inspired by the Tweet directly before it, so time is a factor in creation. If you see a line you want to respond to, do it quickly, before the text changes. At the end of the project I will publish the text (minus the @'s and #'s) on my website and advertise it here and on facebook.
I found a similar attempt on Twitter, but it was dated 2009 and didn't seem to go anywhere, or else the text was already deleted.
My grade depends on participation, so I am asking people to create Twitter accounts and follow @catemaire now, so I am assured that at least someone will contribute. Who knows? We could make Twitter history. Invite your friends, relatives, neighbors, enemies, anyone! The more diverse the group, the better. Let's experiment. Follow me @catemaire.

3 comments:

  1. I'm having way too much fun with @jeaninthebath and @fluminivincula. Doing this for our project is thoroughly exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twitter still confounds me! This will be a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. would love to help. i just joined twitter recently.

    ReplyDelete