Friday, October 15, 2010

For Cyril

 ‘There is, disciples, a condition, where there is neither earth
nor water, neither air nor light, neither limitless space,
nor limitless time, neither any kind of being, neither
this world nor that world. There is neither arising nor
passing-away, nor dying, neither cause nor effect,
neither change nor standstill.’  -Buddha


I stumbled upon this quotation while I was looking for karma images. I decided that instead of writing about karma, I would share this with you. The quotation refers to enlightenment, and reminds me of my husband's state of mind when he knew he was dying and on the day he chose to die. He possessed an incredible calm that made me think, not of an anticipation of heaven, but an understanding of the cycle of life and death, and that he would not have to go through this ever again. He was in the condition Buddha describes. And, I suppose, he is still.

1 comment: