Sunday, October 17, 2010

Deer Me!

It's a crazy deer world out there. Maybe the extended mild weather has been driving them wild. I can't remember another season when I have seen so many deer wandering the streets. Last weekend I saw a yearling get clipped by an SUV. It fell to the ground, then staggered into the woods like a panicked Bambi on ice. Last night, I was on the lookout for deer as I drove home, and sure enough, a big six-point buck turned to look at me from the side of the road. I suppose he was old enough to have learned not to cross the street when headlights were approaching. He looked directly at my car as I passed. It was a little creepy, like a Disney animatronic deer. Then, as I drove on, I saw two newly dead deer along the roadside.
I'm not even out all that often at night, so I can only imagine how many bodies and mangled cars are out there this fall. (I think the deer must have a much more exciting social life than mine!) So, heads up and brights on, people. The deer are partying this year.

2 comments:

  1. I've been noticing it too. Saw three at Crop Walk yesterday! The deer are definitely a little crazy this time of year.

    ReplyDelete